We do our utmost to provide the public with the best possible service, and to act professionally and courteously at all times.

Please note that the NCA is not a crime reporting agency. To report a non-urgent crime please call your local police on 101. In an emergency always call 999.

The oversight bodies for complaints about the conduct of an NCA officer are the:

  1. Independent Police Complaints Commission (“IPCC”) for England & Wales;
  2. Police Information Review Commission (“PIRC”) for Scotland, and
  3. Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland for Northern Ireland (“PONI”)

Any complaint received by the NCA will be handled in accordance with the requirements of one or other of the oversight bodies.

Making a complaint

England, Wales 

In England and Wales, a public complaint will be handled in accordance with the pdf NCA (Complaints and Misconduct) Regulations 2013 (966 KB); the IPCC have also issued bespoke guidance on the application of these Regulations to the complaints process.


In Scotland, a public complaint will be handled by PIRC in accordance with Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2006 as amended by the Police and Fire Reform (Scotland) Act 2012.

Who can make a complaint in England, Wales and Scotland

You can make a complaint if you are:

  • The person in relation to whom the alleged conduct occurred;
  • Any other person who claims to be adversely affected by the alleged conduct;
  • Any person who claims to have witnessed the alleged conduct.

How to make a complaint [or request a review of the way your complaint has been handled]

To make a complaint please complete a document complaint form (238 KB) and email it to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Alternatively you can post the completed form to:

Professional Standards Unit
PO Box 8000
London SE11 5EN


Telephone: 020 7238 2626

You may ask to speak directly with a member of staff who will be able to talk you through the process.

Next steps

Following receipt of a complaint we are required to inform you of our intentions for resolving the matter and on conclusion, should you still feel dissatisfied, we will inform you of your rights of appeal.

Northern Ireland

To make a complaint about an NCA officer in Northern Ireland please submit it to the Police Ombudsman of Northern Ireland (PONI) directly. You can do this:

  • Online via the website
  • Telephone - please call 0845 601 2931
  • Fax - 028 9082 8659
  • Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - this email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • By post or in person at the following address:

Police Ombudsman of Northern Ireland
New Cathedral Buildings
St Anne’s Square
11 Church Street

PONI offices are open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Please call 0845 601 2931 to make an appointment.

If you have a solicitor they can contact the PONI regarding your complaint.

If you're in prison and have a complaint about the conduct of an NCA officer you can write directly to PONI. Prison staff will treat your letter as confidential.

Complain via a third party

You may also submit a complaint via the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) in England and Wales or the Police Information Review Commission (PIRC) in Scotland, who will route it directly to this agency without considering the content.

Should you feel unable to make the complaint yourself you may use the services of a third party such as the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, a friend, another family member or a solicitor. In this case you must provide them with your written authority to act on your behalf.

Fraud warning

NCA will not send unsolicited correspondence to a member of the public requesting that they provide their bank details or send money. If you have doubts about the authenticity of a message you have received from NCA please contact 0370 496 7622. Please note this number is not used to make outgoing calls.

By being vigilant the public can prevent a fraud succeeding.

Share this Page: